Herriot’s 4-star Guest House offers bed and breakfast facilities in our six en-suite bedrooms, all of which benefit from the expected home comforts. All of our rooms have been refurbished over the last few winters and have new bathrooms throughout; images of Herriot’s in Hawes bedrooms are available here.
A hearty breakfast is served in our relaxing Art gallery area, (please click here for a sample menu) and cooked to order each morning where guests can select from a range of top quality produce, including Home-made Muesli & Granola, Scottish smoked salmon and local back bacon, as well as sausages and award winning black pudding from Masham Sausages and to finish with some of Liz’s finest Jams & Marmalades from Herriots Kitchen. We are very capable of dealing with most dietary requirements, including coeliacs and dairy intolerances; but we do require advance notice.
Herriot’s Guest House offers a mixture of single, double, king-size, twin and family rooms, arranged over the first and second floors; the top floor room enjoying excellent views across Wensleydale to Stag’s Fell, Great Shunner Fell and the hamlet of Sedbusk.
Facilities in each room include:
- En-suite facilities
- Thermostatically controlled central heating
- Remote control flat screen freeview TV with CD/DVD player
- Hospitality tray with tea/coffee, hot chocolate, fresh milk, bottled water and home-made biscuits
- Alarm clock/radio
- Hair dryer
- Free Wi Fi internet access
- We can also, with some advance notice, arrange flowers to be delivered to your room (additional charge payable).
- Pet free zone ( ie no pets)
We are accredited for walkers and cyclists due to our secure storage, and, should the weather turn damp, drying room.
Our location means that Herriot’s Guest House can offer:-
- an ideal B&B base for walking, cycling, fishing and touring holidays in the Yorkshire Dales
- an idyllic midweek break destination (check for special offers)
- special packages for ‘ The Herriot Way’ and ‘The Turner Trail’ participants
- accommodation for a special anniversary event
- a comfortable B&B stay on the Pennine Way…and if you are touring, the Lake District is only about an hour away by car
Access Herriot’s building is over 300 years old and has been constructed on a sloping site, so there are several steps from road-level up to the front door. Due to this, we are unfortunately not well placed to cater for guests with reduced mobility. The staircases which link the floors each have 13 steps and are a minimum of 33” (0.835m) wide, with a handrail on one side.
Hawes is situated on the A684, approximately 40 minutes from the M6 in the West and about 50 minutes from the A1 in the East. The nearest railway station is Garsdale Head (on the Settle-to-Carlisle line) and a minibus service operates to carry passengers the 5 miles to/from Garsdale Head station to/from Hawes. A regular bus service operates between Hawes, Leyburn, Bedale and Northallerton.
Herriot’s is based on the small one-way system (approx 100m long) at the eastern end of the town. If you are approaching from the north or east – A1, Swaledale, Leyburn or Aysgarth we are a quarter of the way round; if approaching from the south or west M6, Ingleton or Sedburgh we are 3 quarters of the way round. There is a loading bay immediately to the front of our building where you can park up briefly to unload your bags etc. pop in if you require help. We then suggest parking in any of the on-street spaces that are available, usually well within 50m around the other side of the afore mentioned one-way system. Tuesday is Market day and can be particularly busy during the morning, where parking is restricted in front of the shop areas from late each Monday evening.
Please Find /Follow Us On Social Media!
Facebook: Herriot’s In Hawes